Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Required Action -- Promised Blessing

President Summerhays gave us an assignment just over a month ago. We read the Book of Mormon and marked in one color the required action and in another color the promised blessing. For example1 Ne 1:12 And it came to pass that as he read, he was filled with the spirit of the Lord. 'he read' would be one color and 'he was filled with the spirit of the Lord' would be the other.It was an amazing experience. He challenged us to finish it by Feb 20th (Zone Conference) which meant at least 20 pages a day. It took a lot of work and time, but through the enabling power of the Atonement I was able to finish. It was powerful. I came to see how much the prophets of the Book of Mormon cried repentance. I saw how the miracles were all according to the faith of the individuals. I saw things I've never noticed before. It was an amazing experience. I invite all of you to do the same.

Transfers were this week and Sister Wilcox and I are still here. At Zone Conference on Friday President Summerhays said that there were two new sisters coming out next transfer but that he thinks campus will remain the same (we'll both still be here). It is possible that will change, but Sister Wilcox and I like the idea of serving together longer. We are so very different, but we get along so well. Between the two of us, there isn't a person we can't relate to in some way or another. We work hard and we have fun. It has been great!

The highlight of the week for me was Zone Conference. We talked about diligence. I left with a resolve to do and be better. I re-dedicated myself to the work. I will not just wake up at 6:30, but get out of bed and exercise. I will work all day, even when it is cold and/or rainy. I will show the Savior my love for Him through my actions and my continued diligence. It was a call to repentance, but it felt amazing. I love the chance we have to partake of the Sacrament each week to start over clean and pure. We also talked about the Book of Mormon reading we had been doing and we all committed to read the Book of Mormon every day for the rest of our lives. I'm excited about that. That is something I know I can be diligent about and unlike getting up on time in the morning, it is something that I can make sure happens at some point in the day, so I know that every day for the rest of my life I will read from the Book of Mormon and partake of the power that it holds.

In Zone Conference we also had the chance to talk about the District Meeting we held in the beginning of February where we finally became unified. We shared with what we did to get there, which was we committed to work together as a team or family to accomplish our goals as a district. We dissected what President had guided us to do and so Elder Rasmussen asked me to write on the board what I had written on the board at the District Meeting. As I did so, he continued to explain that we all committed to work together, but then I 'said ok, now HOW?!'... The entire Zone burst into laughter as he did a pretty good impression of my frustrated 'how'. President Summerhays laughed and said something about always needing the counsel of a woman and then handed me his name tag. I was thoroughly embarrassed for my boldness, but later when I talked with Sister Summerhays she said that I had gained the respect of the Zone, so it was a good thing. Then later another Elder needed to write on the board but was very hesitant to erase what I had written. President Summerhays commented that it was nice of him to not want to erase what I had written without my permission and the jokingly added 'especially since she might kill you'. Again laughter. President Summerhays knows me better than I ever realized :) **Note - I would never kill anyone, especially not an Elder, but the Elders in my district are well aware that I do fight for what I feel is right and, as already demonstrated, I'm not afraid to speak my mind... **Anyways, I found it all highly amusing and it was nice to laugh at myself a bit.

The work is going well. We have four progressing investigators and are working with a few less-active members. We are excited to have time to go tracting this week and find those that are prepared to hear the gospel.

I love you all! Read the Book of Mormon!

No comments: