Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Jan. 5, 2009

This week has been full of blessings, even though I was even less worthy of them than normal. I felt like I didn't put in nearly enough work this week, let alone to be able to have such amazing things happen.Monday night we got a referral! My first out here :) There is an investigator, Eddie, in Crawfordville that worked with a girl, Farah, here in Tallahassee. She is really sweet and totally prepared. We got to have a lesson with both of them as well as the Crawfordville Elders before district meeting on Tuesday. It was such a spiritual lesson and Farah was really excited. Eddie bore a very powerful testimony at the end. He is 21, so he may start coming to 5th ward- I'd love it if he did. We had set up an appointment to meet with Farah again Wednesday, but she called to reschedule because she couldn't get a ride. She wasn't there on Friday though. When we called she said she was sorry and still wanted to meet with us, but her family wasn't very supportive. Sister Wilcox and I worried and prayed all day about how to handle this- Farah is so ready! We called Friday night to talk to Farah about going to Eddie's baptism on Saturday, but she wasn't home. We ended up talking with her mom and she apologized for Farah not making the appointment. She said that Farah has never been so excited or interested in something before and now that she realizes how important it is to Farah, she is going to do all she can to support her. She also invited us over to the house to meet her and to teach Farah. It went from a potential problem to a potential investigator!

We got another referral on Thursday for a girl, Jerika, whose parents are being taught in Gainsville. We met with her on Saturday and were surprised by her 3 cousins also being there for the lesson and they were all interested in learning more. We had set a goal for 5 new investigators - though we usually try for 3 - and it was because the Lord knew that Farah, Jerika, Cora, Allison & Kaylee were ready to hear the gospel. It strengthened my testimony of setting goals and the importance of key indicators. We didn't set a goal of 5, but we set a goal to find those girls, we just didn't know their names yet. It was an amazing experience.

I also received an amazing Priesthood blessing this Saturday. Since about Tuesday I haven't been feeling well. Thursday I lost my appetite. Friday I couldn't eat much without my stomach hurting, and by the time I woke up Saturday morning it just hurt - fetal position hurt. I got a blessing from the Elders (E. Clasby anointed and E. Rasmussen sealed) and it was amazing. I've also been having nightmares since I got into the field. They have been progressively more frequent and more vivid. It was messing with mine (and since I yell, Sister Wilcox's) sleep. I told the Elders about that when I asked for the blessing as well. It was very powerful and I was commanded to be healed and to be at peace. My stomach instantly felt better and I wanted food (right before fast Sunday of course). I also felt at peace. I was promised that as I continued to be obedient I would have the Holy Ghost to watch over and be with me while I sleep. I've slept perfectly since then. There were several other promises and words of counsel that I needed as well. I am so thankful for the Priesthood. I am thankful for the faithfulness and worthiness of the Elders. I am thankful for the blessing I received from President Hall as I was set apart. When he said that I would have the best health of my life while I was on my mission I thought it meant I would never get sick, instead it meant that I would always be healed. It has been an amazing and testimony building experience.

The Church of Jesus Christ is on the earth. The authority and power to act in God's name has been restored to bless our lives. I'm in Tallahassee sharing that great news with all who will listen. I love being a missionary! I love all of you and pray that you are well.

No comments: