Monday, January 12, 2009

Be Clean!!

I love cleaning! Cleaning out the Area Book, the ward lists, the cupboards full of stuff from missionaries we've never even heard of, the vacuum cleaner (I'm pretty sure that had never been done -- GROSS!) Today I cleaned our apartment. It is nice to get it all back in order again and to have clean floors. It is nice to have clean dishes, clean sheets, clean clothes - everything :) I am so thankful to my mom who taught me how to clean, and how to keep things clean and orderly - even if my room was rarely clean - I was paying attention. I used the tool kit I got for Christmas (the Elders were all jealous and have borrowed it) and took the vacuum apart and cleaned it. I was even able to put it back together again. I am my mother's daughter.

In other news,This week was wonderful! This is truly the Lord's work. Farah came to the institute game night on Friday and to Church on Sunday. We have another appointment with her on Thursday. She is so happy and excited to be learning and making new friends. The Tallahassee 5th ward is the best! They do such a great job welcoming all our investigators and making them feel right at home! We had an amazing lesson with a girl named Erin. The previous sisters found her tracting last fall, we called her & she was really excited to meet with us. She expressed that she doesn't want to commit to anything just yet, but she said she would read the Book of Mormon and we are meeting with her again tonight. She lives in an apartment complex right next to the church and it is also the one the Relief Society Pres, Jacqueline, lives in. It is so cool! We've seen her twice since we taught her on Thursday. We'll have to go a little slower with her, but she is very prepared by the Lord. His time, not mine.

We also had an amazing experience tracting down by FAMU. We found 3 new investigators, several potentials, and we taught over 20 other lessons! It was amazing! We were exhausted because we walked for 5 1/2 hours and Tallahassee means 'hills', but it was worth that and so much more!Friday we had a less-active come with us to Friday Forum and she got to know a few of the other members of the ward. Sunday was raining in less-actives! There were girls there that were on the records, but no one knew who they were. One of the girls wants to take the lessons again and her new years resolution was to come back to church. There were miracles all over the place!Saturday Sarah Altee was baptized. The FSU Sisters started teaching her and passed her off to the TCC Elders before they were transferred. She is such a sweet girl (not to be confused with a 'sweet spirit' -- she is really cute too) and is going to do great things. She has a strong desire to learn and grow and will continue to do so. I think one of my favorite things about being a missionary is that you get to watch people change their lives. Some it is a physical change - hair cuts, clean clothes, a general neat appearance, others it is a personality change - happier, friendlier, more outgoing, but for all it is a spiritual change or growth. The Gospel of Jesus Christ blesses the lives of all that live it. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to get to witness the Holy Ghost work with others as they come unto Christ. I am so thankful that I get to bear testimony and feel the Holy Ghost bring thoughts and words to my mind. It is an amazing experience. The Elders often talk of how amazing it is to give a blessing because it is like you are reading something, the words aren't your own. Sometimes, when I'm teaching I experience the same thing. Often I have a train of thought enter my mind, but on special occasions, specific words come to me. I am so thankful for the desire to be obedient that has been instilled in me because it is through obedience that I am worthy to have the Holy Ghost with me. Living righteously is the only way to be happy!

I love you all! Thanks Ted & Meg for the great package! The muffins were delicious and the little toys have kept me very entertained when I can't really think anymore. Thanks Waybne for the letter on such excellent paper. Mom I love your emails! Thanks Grandma Lou for faithfully writing each week. As for the rest of you.... I'd appreciate it if you followed the example of Jarom, Omni, Amaron, Chemish, Abinadom & Amaleki and at least write some words. I'd love to hear from you!

Love always,Sister Alissa Marie Short (There is an Alissa in the 5th ward who spells her name right!)

No comments: